The Acropolis Museum in Athens, Greece, has been honored this year as part of the 2015 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice awards for museums around the globe, ranking as the 11th on the list of top 25 museums in the world and 8th top museum in Europe. The Acropolis Museum ranked first on the list of the top 10 museums in Greece for 2015.In total, 591 winners were identified, including the top 25 in the world and dedicated lists for Asia, Canada, Europe, India, South America, South Pacific, the U.K. and the U.S. The awards are based on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers worldwide.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York was deemed the top museum in the world and in America and the Musee d’Orsay in Paris ranked #1 museum in Europe.“Honoring nearly 600 institutions worldwide, the Travelers’ Choice awards have recognized the favorite museums that serve as cultural treasure troves for our community of millions,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor.
Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for museums around the world, gathered over a 12-month period.
“These world-class museums provide an enriching experience that can be both inspiring and educational for travelers around the globe”, Ms. Messing added.
Top 10 Travelers’ Choice Museums – Greece
1. The Acropolis Museum, Athens
2. National Archaeological Museum, Athens
3. Herakleion Archaeological Museum, Crete
4. Museum of the Royal Tombs of Aigai, Vergina
5. War Museum of Thessaloniki
6. Eggares Olive Press Museum
7. Museum of Marble Crafts, Tinos
8. Municipal Museum of the Holocaust of Kalavryta
9. Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens
10. Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki
source: GTP Headlines0